This sauce is a unique blend of bone marrow, Crème fraîche and herbs. The bone marrow adds an umami flavor to the sauce that enhances the richness of the dish.
It also helps to build body in soups and sauces, giving dishes an extra dimension of flavor. Often used as a finishing sauce, it can be served with beef, poultry or fish dishes to add depth and complexity. It is also great for adding richness to vegetable dishes like mashed potatoes or creamed spinach.
With its rich and savory flavor, Bone Marrow Sauce will certainly make any meal more memorable!
3-4 tablespoons of bone marrow
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon crème fraîche
Salt, to taste
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1. In a small bowl, combine the bone marrow, lemon juice and crème fraîche.
2. Mix well until combined and season with salt to taste.
3. Stir in fresh thyme and mix together until evenly distributed.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature as a sauce or topping for any dish!
Recipe tips and variations
• You can also use coconut oil or olive oil in place of butter.
• For a creamier sauce, add an extra tablespoon of crème fraîche.
• Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese for added flavor and richness.
• Feel free to experiment with other herbs such as rosemary, sage or oregano to your liking!
• Try adding chopped garlic for an extra layer of complexity.
• If you don’t have any fresh herbs, dried herbs will work as well.
• Replace the crème fraîche with sour cream for a slightly tart flavor.
• Use olive oil instead of butter for a lighter flavor.
• To make it vegan-friendly, use vegan butter and omit the crème fraiche altogether.
• For a spicy twist, add some red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce.
Q: What is bone marrow?
A: Bone marrow is the fatty, jelly-like substance found inside the cavities of bones. It is a great source of essential nutrients such as iron, magnesium and zinc.
Q: Can I freeze bone marrow sauce?
A: Yes! To freeze this sauce, let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bag. It should last for up to 3 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to use it, just thaw and reheat.
Q: What dishes pair well with bone marrow sauce?
A: Bone marrow sauce is great for adding a savory, umami flavor to any dish. Try serving it over steak, chicken, fish or vegetables like mashed potatoes or creamed spinach. It can also be used as a dip for crudite or drizzled over roasted root vegetables. With its rich and flavorful taste, you can’t go wrong with this delicious sauce! The possibilities with Bone Marrow Sauce are endless. With its complex flavor, it is a great way to add an extra layer of deliciousness to any dish.
Q: Are there any alternatives to crème fraîche?
A: Yes, you can use sour cream or Greek yogurt in place of crème fraîche for a slightly tart flavor. You can also omit it entirely if desired.
Q: How long will bone marrow sauce last in the refrigerator?
A: ThisBone Marrow Sauce should last up to 5 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Q: What other herbs can I add?
A: Feel free to experiment with other herbs such as rosemary, sage or oregano to your liking! You can also try adding chopped garlic for an extra layer of complexity.
Q: How would I make bone marrow gravy?
A: To make a rich and flavorful bone marrow gravy, start by melting some butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add some minced shallot or garlic and cook until softened. Then add the bone marrow to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes. Next, stir in some all-purpose flour until lightly golden and bubbly. Whisk in your desired amount of broth or stock and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the gravy has thickened. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired before serving warm!
Q: How would I make bone marrow carbonara?
A: Bone marrow carbonara is a delicious twist on the classic Italian pasta dish. Start by heating some olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and shallot or onion, then stir in your desired amount of cooked bone marrow. Cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned, then add cream and Parmesan cheese to the pan. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until creamy and bubbly, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Finally, mix in cooked noodles of your choice before serving! Enjoy!
Q: Is bone marrow chimichurri a thing?
A: Yes, bone marrow chimichurri is a delicious and flavorful condiment that can be used as a topping or accompaniment to a variety of dishes. To make it, start by blending together fresh herbs like parsley, oregano, cilantro and garlic with olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Then stir in cooked bone marrow until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Use this sauce as a topping for grilled meats, roasted vegetables or tacos! Enjoy!
Q: Can I use bone marrow in other recipes?
A: Absolutely! Bone marrow is incredibly versatile and can be used in many different recipes such as bone marrow frites, bone marrow pasta, bone marrow salsa , stews and sauces, bone marrow salsa, garlic bread with bone marrow to name a few 🙂
So there you have it! With its rich, creamy texture and umami flavor, bone marrow is a great addition to any dish. Whether you’re making a classic pasta dish or an inventive new creation, the possibilities are endless. Have fun experimenting and enjoy!
Bone Marrow Sauce
- 3-4 tbsp Bone marrow
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Crème fraîche
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the bone marrow, lemon juice and crème fraîche.
- Mix well until combined and season with salt to taste.
- Stir in fresh thyme and mix together until evenly distributed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature as a sauce or topping for any dish!
Leave a Reply