Today, we’re sharing a fantastic way to prepare juicy and flavorful chicken breasts using an air fryer.
By scoring the chicken and adding a delicious blend of spices, you’ll create a dish that’s sure to impress. So, let’s dive into this simple yet satisfying recipe.
Why should I score my chicken breast?
Scoring chicken involves making shallow cuts or slits on the surface of the meat. It helps in several ways:
- Allows marinades and seasonings to penetrate deeper into the meat, resulting in more flavorful chicken.
- Helps to cook the chicken more evenly by allowing heat to reach the interior of the meat.
- Creates a larger surface area for browning and crisping the skin when cooking.
- Promotes rendering of fat from under the skin, enhancing overall taste and texture.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts about ¼ inch deep across the surface of each chicken breast. This scoring technique allows the seasoning to penetrate the meat and enhances the flavor.
Brush both sides of each scored chicken breast with olive oil.
Sprinkle the spice blend generously over both sides of the chicken, making sure to rub it into the scores for maximum flavor.
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
Place the seasoned chicken breasts in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Cook the chicken in the air fryer for approximately 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the chicken is golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Once cooked, remove the chicken from the air fryer and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
- For even more flavor, marinate the chicken breasts in the spice blend and olive oil mixture for 30 minutes to an hour before cooking.
- If you prefer a spicier kick, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder to the spice blend.
- To ensure even cooking, make sure the chicken breasts are similar in thickness. If necessary, pound them gently to create an even thickness.
- Feel free to customize the spice blend to suit your taste. Add herbs like thyme, rosemary, or oregano, or experiment with different seasonings like smoked paprika or cumin.
- If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also prepare this recipe in a conventional oven. Bake the chicken at 400°F (200°C) for approximately 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
Q: Can I use bone-in chicken instead of boneless? A: Absolutely! Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Bone-in chicken may take a bit longer to cook.
Q: Can I freeze the seasoned chicken breasts? A: Yes, you can freeze the seasoned chicken breasts in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw them thoroughly before cooking.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts for this recipe? It’s best to use thawed chicken breasts for optimal cooking results. If using frozen chicken, make sure to fully thaw it before scoring and seasoning.
Can I use bone-in chicken instead of boneless? Yes, you can use bone-in chicken breasts for this recipe. However, cooking time may vary, so ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
Can I use skin-on chicken breasts? While this recipe is specifically designed for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, you can certainly use skin-on chicken if you prefer. Keep in mind that the skin may affect the crispiness of the final result.
Can I substitute the olive oil with another type of oil? Yes, you can substitute olive oil with other oils such as vegetable oil, canola oil, or avocado oil. Choose an oil with a high smoke point to prevent burning during air frying.
How do I know when the chicken is cooked through? The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165°F (74°C) to ensure it is fully cooked. You can use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature at the thickest part of the chicken breast.
Can I adjust the spice levels to make it more or less spicy? Absolutely! Feel free to adjust the amount of spices used to suit your taste preferences. Add more or less spice based on your desired level of heat and flavor.
Can I double or halve the recipe? Yes, you can easily adjust the recipe to make more or fewer servings. Just ensure that you maintain the same ratios of spices and cooking times may vary slightly.
How can I reheat leftover scored seasoned chicken breasts? To reheat the leftovers, you can place them in the air fryer for a few minutes at 350°F (175°C) until warmed through. You can also use a preheated oven or microwave if needed.
Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs? Absolutely! Fresh herbs can add a vibrant flavor to the dish. Keep in mind that the conversion ratio for fresh herbs to dried herbs is typically 3:1, so adjust accordingly.
How can I serve the scored seasoned chicken breasts? These chicken breasts are versatile and can be served as a main course with your favorite sides, sliced on top of salads, or in sandwiches. Get creative and enjoy them in any way you prefer!
Can I use Trader Joe’s Pesto Chicken Breast in the air fryer? Yes, you can definitely cook Trader Joe’s Pesto Chicken Breast in the air fryer. The air fryer will help to crisp up the outside while keeping the chicken moist and flavorful on the inside.
With its crispy exterior and juicy interior, these Scored Seasoned Chicken Breasts made in the air fryer are a delightful addition to any meal. The scoring technique combined with the flavorful spice blend creates a taste sensation that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out, this recipe is sure to impress both family and friends. So, fire up that air fryer and enjoy a delicious and hassle-free meal!
Scored Seasoned Chicken Breast (Air Fryer)
- Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts about ¼ inch deep across the surface of each chicken breast.
- This scoring technique allows the seasoning to penetrate the meat and enhances the flavor.In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, dried thyme, and dried rosemary.
- Mix well to create your spice blend.Brush both sides of each scored chicken breast with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the spice blend generously over both sides of the chicken, making sure to rub it into the scores for maximum flavor.Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
- Place the seasoned chicken breasts in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook the chicken in the air fryer for approximately 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the chicken is golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the air fryer and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.