On the blog today, we’re sharing a delicious and easy recipe for air fryer bacon-wrapped scallops! I’m pretty new to scallops, but I have to say, I’m a fan! They cook up quickly and are soooo tasty. And when you wrap them in bacon, it’s just an added bonus!
These scallops can be cooked from frozen, which is great for those days when you forgot to thaw something out (we’ve all been there!). Just pop them in the air fryer and they’ll be ready in no time!
Why make them in the air fryer?
The air fryer gives the bacon a nice crispy texture, without making the scallops dry. And, it’s much easier than cooking them in the oven! Another great reason is that you can fully thaw them in the airfryer without getting dry. The air fryer tray acts as a sieve to the water that drips from the frozen scallops, it’s preat neat!
So, if you’re looking for an easy and delicious recipe to make in your air fryer, give these bacon-wrapped scallops a try! You won’t be disappointed!
How to make air fryer bacon-wrapped scallops:
– Frozen scallops: I used frozen scallops as they are usually cheaper than fresh scallops and most people buy them frozen!
– Bacon: You cant go wrong with bacon!
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
2. To thaw you scallops, place them in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes, until they are no longer frozen.
4. Wrap each scallop with half a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
5. Place the bacon-wrapped scallops back in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, until the bacon is crispy.
6. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If you can’t find frozen scallops, you can also use fresh scallops. Just be sure to pat them dry before wrapping in bacon.
- Try serving these scallops with a dipping sauce, like BBQ sauce or ranch dressing.
- These scallops are best served immediately after cooking. However, you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- We hope you enjoy this recipe! If you try it out, be sure to let us know how it goes in the comments below.
- Try this recipe with shrimp or chicken instead of scallops! If you don’t have bacon on hand, you can also use ham or prosciutto.
- For a sweeter flavor, include brown sugar in the recipe. For a spicier flavor, include cayenne pepper (or add another type of chilli pepper).
- If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake these scallops in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and place the scallops on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy.
How long do bacon-wrapped scallops take to cook?
Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your scallops and the wattage of your air fryer. In general, smaller scallops will take less time to cook than larger scallops. We recommend checking on your scallops every few minutes, starting at the 8 minute mark, until they reach your desired level of doneness.
Can I make these scallops ahead of time?
Yes! You can wrap the scallops in bacon and keep them in the fridge for up to 2 hours before cooking. When you’re ready to cook, simply preheat your air fryer and cook according to the recipe
What should I serve with bacon-wrapped scallops?
These scallops are delicious on their own, but they’re also great with dipping sauces like BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, or aioli. You can also serve them with a side of roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes.
Can I use fresh scallops instead of frozen?
Yes, you can use fresh scallops for this recipe. Just be sure to pat them dry before wrapping in bacon.
What is the best way to store leftovers?
These scallops are best served immediately after cooking. However, you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Why is it important to pat the scallops dry before wrapping in bacon?
If your scallops are too wet, the bacon will not stick as well and may fall off during cooking. Patting them dry with a paper towel helps to create a better seal so that the bacon stays in place.
How can I make these scallops spicier?
For a spicier flavor, you can increase the amount of cayenne pepper (or add another type of chili pepper) in the recipe. You can also try serving them with a dipping sauce that has some heat, like Sriracha ranch dressing or hot sauce.
My bacon isn’t crisp after cooking, what happened?
If your bacon isn’t as crisp as you’d like, you can cook it for a few minutes longer. Just be sure to keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn. You can also try placing the bacon-wrapped scallops under the broiler for a minute or two before serving. This will help to crisp up the bacon even more.
What is the best way to reheat leftovers?
For the best results, we recommend reheating these scallops in the air fryer. Just cook for a few minutes until heated through. You can also reheat them in the oven, but be careful not to overcook them or the bacon will become very crispy. Another option is to microwave them, but this may make the bacon less crispy.
What else can I wrap in bacon?
Try this recipe with shrimp or chicken instead of scallops! If you don’t have bacon on hand, you can also use ham or prosciutto.
What do scallops taste like?
Scallops have a mild, slightly sweet flavor. They are often compared to shrimp or lobster.
How should I clean my scallops if they are fresh?
Be sure to rinse your scallops with cold water before cooking. You can also remove the small side muscle if desired. This is optional, but it will make for a more tender scallop. To remove the side muscle, simply pull it off with your fingers or use a sharp knife to cut it away.
How many scallops per person?
This recipe yields 4 servings. Each serving includes 3 bacon-wrapped scallops.
Can I make these scallops ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the scallops ahead of time and cook them when you’re ready. Just wrap the bacon around the scallops and place them in the air fryer basket. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the air fryer and cook according to the recipe instructions.
What is the best way to cut bacon?
For this recipe, we recommend cutting the bacon into thirds so that it’s easier to wrap around the scallops. You can also cut the bacon in half if you prefer.
How can I make these scallops healthier?
You can use turkey bacon or a lower-sodium bacon to reduce the amount of fat and sodium in this recipe. You can also try using less bacon per scallop. Just be sure to cook the scallops for a shorter time so that they don’t dry out.
How can I make these scallops gluten-free?
This recipe is already gluten-free! Just be sure to use gluten-free bacon and check the labels on any dipping sauces or sides that you serve with them.
What is the best way to clean my air fryer?
Cleaning your air fryer is important to prevent food from sticking and to keep it working properly. We recommend cleaning it after each use, or at least once a week. The easiest way to clean it is to put some soap and water in the basket and run it on the Air Fry cycle for a few minutes. You can also use a specialty air fryer cleaner. For more tips on how to clean your air fryer, check out this article.
Bacon-wrapped scallops are a delicious and easy recipe that can be made in the air fryer! These scallops are wrapped in bacon, then frozen, making them the perfect appetizer or main course. The air fryer gives the bacon a nice crispy texture, without making the scallops dry. And, it’s much easier than cooking them in the oven!
Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Scallops
- 1 lb Frozen scallops
- 8 slices Bacon Thin, streaky
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- To thaw you scallops, place them in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes, until they are no longer frozen.
- Empty the scallops into a mixing bowl and cover with avocado oil and salt . Toss to coat.
- Wrap each scallop with half a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the bacon-wrapped scallops back in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, until the bacon is crispy.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!