I know what you are thinking – these foods are oppostie ends of the spectrum! But trust me, the flavor combo is a match.
The sweet and savory combination of red velvet waffle batter and chicken wings make for an amazing snack or even meal.
The waffle batter is super easy as it come from a box. I love red velvet cake mix as it adds a nice vibrant hue to it. Then all you have to do is dip your fried chicken wings into the mix and pop them in the waffle iron until they are perfectly crisp.
To serve these delicious red velvet waffle chicken wings, I suggest pairing them with a cool ranch sauce made with mayo and buttermilk or something similar. This helps balance out their sweetness. Or, you could top with your favourite syrup.
This dish is delicious and flavorful and guaranteed to satisfy even the most discriminating palate. So grab your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
Fried Chicken Wings (cooked)
Raw Red Velvet Mix (You will have to add additional ingredients like eggs, butter, and oil.)
1. Preheat your waffle iron to medium heat and spray with oil.
2. Dip your fried chicken wings in the raw red velvet mixture, making sure they are completely covered.
3. Place the coated chicken wings into the preheated waffle iron, close and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Remove from the waffle iron and serve with a dipping sauce of your choice!
1. If you find that your chicken wings are getting too soft, increase the heat of your waffle iron.
2. To ensure even cooking, make sure that the chicken wings are not touching each other in the waffle iron.
3. Try experimenting with different dipping sauces for an extra burst of flavor!
- If you don’t have a waffle iron, you can also fry the chicken wings in oil to achieve the same results. Just be sure to keep an eye on them and flip often so they don’t burn.
- You can also try different types of cake mixtures such as Victoria sponge batter or even chocolate cake batter.
- If you are looking for a healthier alternative, you can bake the chicken wings instead of frying them.
- It you are using the oven, make sure that they are completely covered with the red velvet mixture before baking in preheated oven at 350°F (176°C) for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use any type of chicken like white or dark meat for this recipe.
The cooking time will vary depending on the heat of your waffle iron and how big your pieces are. Generally speaking, it will take around 3-5 minutes to cook them until they reach a golden brown color.
That is completely up to you! You can go with something classic like BBQ sauce or honey mustard, or you could try something more creative like teriyaki or buffalo sauce. Have fun experimenting with different flavors!
Yes, you can freeze the cooked chicken wings for up to two months. Just make sure they are completely cooled before freezing and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Reheat in a 350°F (176°C) oven until heated through.
You can usually find it at most specialty stores or ethnic grocery stores. It is also easy to make at home; just combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and a little buttermilk for the perfect mixture!
No, this recipe is not suitable for vegetarians as it contains chicken. However, you can easily substitute the chicken with a plant-based protein like tofu or tempeh to make it vegetarian friendly!
Yes, you can easily substitute the red velvet mix with a gluten-free alternative.
Yes, you can. Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and coat the chicken wings in the red velvet mix. Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
A: Yes! You can omit the oil when preheating your waffle iron and bake the chicken wings in a preheated oven at 350°F (176°C) instead of frying them. Additionally, you can use a low sugar red velvet mix if desired.
Absolutely! This recipe is very easy to scale up or down depending on your needs. Just be sure not to overcrowd the waffle iron when cooking larger batches as it will take longer for them to cook through.
This wouldn’t work as you need a batter!
We hope you have enjoyed this tutorial on how to make red velvet waffle chicken wings! This is sure to be a hit at your next get-together or dinner-do!
Red velvet waffle chicken wings
- 8 Fried Chicken Wings cooked
- 15¼ oz Red Velvet Mix You will have to add additional ingredients like eggs, butter, and oil.
- Spray oil
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium heat and spray with oil.
- Dip your fried chicken wings in the raw red velvet mixture, making sure they are completely covered.
- Place the coated chicken wings into the preheated waffle iron, close and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the waffle iron and serve with a dipping sauce of your choice!