I like to call this my fridge curry because I almost always have the ingredients on hand in my fridge. I also like to store leftovers in the fridge after so I can have a healthy and delicious meal ready to go when I’m feeling lazy or don’t have time to cook! This curry is packed with protein and fiber from the chickpeas, and the veggies add vitamins, minerals, and protein. The best part is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make!
If you are trying to add more vegan, vegetarian recipes to your diet (or simply want to eat more vegetables); chickpea fridge curry is a good place to start.
This fridge curry is fairly flexible too, the vegetable combinations that you can use in this curry are vast; with veggies like aubergines, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, green beans to name a few. Any vegetable you end up using will be delicious as it will be coated in a rich, creamy, savoury sauce.
This curry freezes and “fridges” well. I always find the taste enhances with time so leftovers are a must!
Recipes tips and variations
- If you don’t have time to cook the rice, you can use quinoa or another grain.
- To make this curry spicier, add more chili powder or red pepper flakes.
- Feel free to add other vegetables to this curry, such as zucchini, bell peppers, or eggplant.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a pan on the stove over medium heat.
Can I put sage in curry?
I would not recommend adding sage in curry. Sage is a strong flavor and can easily overpower the other flavors in the curry. If you want to add a herb to curry, I would recommend cilantro or parsley.
I don’t like chickpeas. Can I use another type of bean?
Yes, you can use any type of beans you like in this curry. Kidney beans, black beans, or white beans would all be good substitutes.
Do you have a cassia chickpea curry recipe?
I do not have a cassia chickpea curry recipe, but I think this recipe would be good with any type of bean. Just cook the beans until they are soft and then add them to the curry.
Can you freeze curry?
Yes, you can freeze curry. Curry will last in the freezer for up to six months.
What is the best way to reheat curry?
The best way to reheat curry is in the stove top of microwave. reheating it in the oven will make the curry dry.
My fridge curry is too spicy, what can I do?
If your curry is too spicy, you can add some coconut milk or cream to tone down the spice. You can also add some sugar to balance out the heat.
This everything but the fridge curry is a one-pot meal that is hearty, filling, and packed with flavor. It’s made with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pant
Chickpea Fridge Curry
- 400 ml Light coconut milk
- 800 g Chickpeas (2 cans)
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 Tub Knorr stock (vegetable)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Onion
- 1 Handful Spinach
- 1 Medium Sweet potato
- 1 Bell pepper
- 2 Carrots
- 200 ML Water (fill up 1/2 the coconut milk can with water).
- Chop vegetables; garlic, onion, sweet potato, carrot, bell pepper
- Put coconut oil in pan, followed by all the chopped vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes
- Add curry powder and stock cube
- When curry powder is fragrant (~3 mins), add chickpeas, coconut milk and water
- Cook on medium for 15 – 20 minutes
- Add handful of spinach
- It is ready when oil from the coconut milk raises to the top
If you cook this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment or rate the recipe and don’t forget to tag #theflexiblefridge on instagram, thanks friends!