Need a delicious dinner in a hurry? Try this accelerated Chicken Adobo, a family favourite in our house! Perfectly suited for busy weekdays. Not only does it taste delicious, but it only requires 9 ingredients using 30 minutes of your time. This is truly a meal that cooks itself, with reduced babysitting at the stove required. You can kick back, relax and let the stove do all the work.
This recipe calls for minimum ingredients producing MAXIMUM flavour!
Don’t let the foreign name deter you,
Adobo/ Adobar translates to mean marinade or sauce in Spanish.
It is common in parts of Mexico and also in the Philippines. Adobo is simply a cooking technique in which meat, seafood, vegetables (or pretty much anything) is seared on a high heat, then cooked low and slow in a broth bath with ingredients such as salt, vinegar, garlic, pepper and bay leaves.
The great thing about this recipe is that there is no pre-marination needed; which is pretty rare for great tasting meat.
The preparation is simple: sear the meat for a crispy finish, then bring the sauce up to a simmer until the liquid turns into a velvety, shiny texture and the meat is cooked through.
The sauce is sweet, savoury, with sour hints running through. A true flavour sensation!
1 pot, 9 ingredients, 30 minutes, this is a perfect dinner for the entire family.
- 15 Cloves Garlic or the whole garlic bulb (I know this a lot, but trust me!)
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1 KG Chicken thighs (skinless for a healthier option)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ Cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 400 ML Light coconut milk
- Wash and pat dry chicken thighs
- Peel garlic cloves and mince in the food processor
- Turn on the stove high heat (searing meat works best on high heat, be careful with spitting oil), spoon coconut oil into pan (non-stick/ skillet) and sear the chicken on both sides until brown (~5mins each side). If the meat is stuck to the pan, it is not yet browned, so leave it for a couple more minutes – until it easily pulls away.
- Season chicken with a pinch of salt
- Stab each chicken thigh multiple times with a sharp knife (this will ensure all the flavour from the sauce gets locked inside the chicken!)
- Turn stove to medium heat, add minced garlic, fry until light brown
- Add soy sauce, ACV, peppercorns, bay leaves, sugar and light coconut milk
- Cook low and slow for 30 mins (or until chicken is no longer pink inside)
- Spoon out oil that has risen to the top
- Take out bayleaves (they have served their flavour enhancing purpose!)
- Serve with some brown rice, quinoa and steamed greens of your choice (we love spring greens or broccoli).
If you cook this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment or rate the recipe and don’t forget to tag #theflexiblefridge on instagram, thanks friends!