Yummy carob pie is a chocolate-like dessert made from carob, tofu, maple syrup and some other ingredients. This paste is then spread over a pastry base and baked until deep brown. It’s delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
What does carob pie taste like?
Carob Pie has a chocolate-like flavor that is slightly sweeter than regular chocolate. It has hints of nuttiness from the bean and natural sweetness from the maple syrup. The texture of the filling varies depending on how long it was cooked in the oven, but it should be nice creamy. Carob pie is a delicious dessert that is sure to please any sweet tooth.
- Carob powder
- Firm tofu
- Maple syrup
- Agar agar
- Vanilla extract
- Unbaked pastry crust
Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9 inch pie dish with oil or butter.
Bake pie according to the package instructions
Place the carob powder, tofu, maple syrup, salt and vanilla extract in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pastry crust and spread evenly.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before serving.
– Feel free to use either a regular or gluten-free pastry crust.
– If you prefer your carob pie to have more of a chocolate flavor, add ¼ cup cocoa powder to the food processor along with the other ingredients.
– Add some finely chopped nuts for an extra crunchy texture.
– You can also customize this recipe by adding different flavors such as orange zest or cinnamon. Just be sure not to add too much so that it doesn’t overpower the natural sweetness of the carob.
– For a more traditional flavor, omit the tofu and replace it with ½ cup of cream cheese.
– If you don’t have agar agar powder, you can also use gelatin in place of it. It will not be vegan after this
Have fun experimenting and customizing this recipe to make it your own! From different types of nuts to adding nutmeg or cinnamon for flavor, there’s no end to the variations that you can create.
Carob is a legume tree native to the Mediterranean and Middle East regions. The fruit of the carob tree contains pods filled with a sweet, edible pulp that can be dried, ground into powder and used as an alternative to cocoa powder in baking recipes. It has a naturally sweet taste with hints of nuttiness and chocolate-like flavor.
What are the health benefits of carob?
Carob is packed with vitamins and minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc. It’s also high in fiber and protein making it a great choice for those looking to add more nutrition to their diet. Carob also contains antioxidants which help protect the body from free radical damage. Additionally, carob is naturally sweet and contains no caffeine making it an ideal alternative to chocolate.
Can I substitute cocoa for carob in recipes?
Yes, you can use cocoa powder as a substitute for carob powder in baking recipes. However, keep in mind that cocoa has a stronger flavor and is less sweet than carob so you may need to adjust your recipe accordingly. If you do decide to use cocoa instead of carob, make sure to start with a smaller amount and add more as needed until desired flavor is reached.
Can I use a store-bought pre-made pie crust?
Yes, store bought pre-made pie crusts can be used for Carob Pie. Make sure to follow the baking instructions on the package and adjust baking time accordingly. You may also need to adjust other ingredients in the recipe if using a premade crust that is not made from scratch.
Can I freeze Carob Pie?
Yes, you can freeze Carob Pie for up to 3 months in an airtight container or resealable bag. When ready to serve, thaw the pie overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
What is carob chocolate?
Carob chocolate is a type of dark chocolate made from carob instead of cocoa. It has a naturally sweet flavor with hints of nuttiness and it’s also caffeine free. Carob chocolate can be used as an alternative to regular dark chocolate when baking or making desserts and other treats.
Can I use carob chips in baking?
Yes, you can use carob chips in baking recipes like cookies, muffins, cakes and pies for added sweetness and texture. If using carob chips instead of cocoa powder in the recipe, make sure to reduce the amount called for since carob chips are sweeter than cocoa powder. Additionally, keep in mind that carob chips will not melt as easily as chocolate chips.
So there you have it! We hope you enjoy this delicious pie! Tell us in the comments if you try it!
- ¼ cup Carob powder
- 1 12oz Packgage firm tofu
- ½ cup Maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Agar agar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 9 inch Unbaked pastry crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9 inch pie dish with oil or butter.
- Bake pie according to the package instructions
- Place the carob powder, tofu, maple, salt and vanilla extract in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pastry crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before serving.
Leave a Reply