This mouth-watering dish is a great way to bring the flavors of Beijing to your own kitchen! I made this dish last week for my son’s birthday – we had family coming round so I did a whole Chinese inspired meal!
Peking was first introduced in the 1800s and is one of China’s most famous dishes. It is usually used to marinate for longer periods of time, resulting in a more intense flavor. You have seen it marinate duck but today we are taking it to the air fryer with chicken drumsticks.
The drumsticks are should be marinated for 24 hours in a mixture of hoisin sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, dark brown sugar, sesame oil, honey, five spice, garlic puree and fresh ginger for an unforgettable taste sensation!
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic puree
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
In a large bowl combine together the marinade ingredients – stirring everything together until evenly combined.
Subsequently add in chicken afterwards – making sure each side gets coated with marinade properly before placing back into fridge overnight or for at least 24 hours so that flavors can properly seep into its surface area!
After 24 hours, allow your chicken to rest at room temperature 30 minutes and place into your preheated air fryer at 380°F for 22-25 minutes.
After cooking remove from the air fryer and enjoy.
• Make sure to mix up all marinade ingredients together very well beforehand – this will help ensure even cooking results when using air fryer afterwards!
• Feel free to adjust marinade seasoning amounts as desired – adding more or less of certain items according to personal preference taste preferences.
• For a crispier finished product after baking try brushing some extra sesame oil onto the surface area before placing it inside air fryer.
• Feel free to adjust amounts of seasonings used depending on preference – add more garlic ginger salt or pepper as desired for additional zesty notes that may tickle your fancy!
The recommended cook time for average sized drumsticks is usually between 22-25 minutes at 380°F before checking for doneness via thermometer.
Always keep an eye on them though as times may vary depending on size/shape of chicken drumstick.
Yes, the drumsticks can also be cooked in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C). Grease up an oven safe dish with some cooking spray or oil before adding prepared chicken onto it. Place this now filled dish onto middle rack and bake for 28-30 minutes depending on size/shape of chicken! Always keep an eye on them though as times may vary.
In addition to the ingredients listed above, other seasonings such as soy cumin, lime and chili flakes can be added for extra zesty flavour. Feel free to adjust amounts of seasonings used depending on preference – add more garlic ginger salt or pepper as desired for additional notes that may tickle your fancy! Additionally, feel free to swap out hoisin sauce with Worcestershire – just know that it will provide slight flavor difference.
Is it necessary to preheat the air fryer?
Yes, it is important to preheat the air fryer for at least 5 minutes prior to inserting any food. This will ensure optimal temperature control and even cooking when using air fryer later on. Preheating also helps seal in juices of ingredients which adds more flavor complexity as well!
Leftover Peking Chicken Drumsticks can be stored in an airtight container or bag either in refrigerator or freezer depending on when they need to be consumed. If storing for short-term (up to 3 days), keep them chilled in fridge then reheat through steaming, baking or microwaving until piping hot before consuming again – this will help preserve flavor/texture of meal! Alternatively, if looking for longer-term solution (up to 6 months), freezing drumsticks is recommended instead where contents can still remain fresh even after extended periods of time.
Yes! You can also cook these juicy drumsticks using a conventional deep fryer, stovetop pan or even skillet depending on preference. The same marinade ingredients apply.
Peking Chicken Drumsticks pair perfectly with steamed white rice and a vegetable side dish. Try adding some broccoli or asparagus for a burst of color, in addition to cooked carrots or cauliflower depending on preference. For a complete meal that is sure to satisfy all cravings, add some sweet & sour sauce as condiment too – enjoy! Alternatively, these drumsticks can also be served on top of a bed of noodles such as lo mein or chow mein. Feel free to mix and match sides with this type meal depending on preferences – the options are limitless!
These peking Chicken Drumsticks can be used in a variety of dishes ranging from stir-fries to wraps and salads. For a simple stir-fry option, feel free to add some vegetables along with cooked noodles for a delicious meal that is sure to please! Additionally, these juicy drumsticks can also be used in wraps or salads as protein source – just toss in some greens and veggies for complete dish that is sure to impress.
Yes, feel free to use different types of oil (such as olive or avocado) in place of vegetable oil when making the marinade. Additionally, you can also switch out soy sauce for tamari if needed – just know that it will provide slight flavor difference.
So there you have it, air fryer peking chicken drumsticks! A delicious, easy to make and highly customizable dish that is perfect for any occasion. With just the right amount of flavor and a crisp texture, these drumsticks are sure to be a hit with your family and friends!
Air Fryer Peking Chicken Drumsticks
- ⅓ cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dark soy sauce
- 2½ tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 2½ tbsp Sesame oil
- 2½ tbsp Honey
- 1½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- ½ tsp Garlic puree
- 2 tsp Minced fresh ginger
- 8 Chicken drumsticks
- In a large bowl combine together the marinade ingredients – stirring everything together until evenly combined.
- Subsequently add in chicken afterwards – making sure each side gets coated with marinade properly before placing back into fridge overnight or for at least 24 hours so that flavors can properly seep into its surface area!
- After 24 hours, allow your chicken to rest at room temperature 30 minutes and place into your preheated air fryer at 380°F for 22-25 minutes.
- After cooking remove from the air fryer and enjoy.