If you love creamy desserts, then you must try making Air Fryer Flan. This traditional Spanish custard dessert is made with eggs, milk, sugar and just a hint of vanilla for a delicious flavor.
The unique twist on this recipe is that it is cooked in an air fryer – making it easier to make and giving the flan an even creamier texture than traditional recipes.
So, if you’re looking for an indulgent treat or a show-stopping dessert to wow your dinner guests, look no further! Here’s everything you need to know about Air Fryer Flan.
Where does this dish originate from?
Flan has been around since Roman times and has become popularized in many countries such as Spain and Mexico. It is essentially a custard-like dessert where a sweetened egg mixture is set overtop of a caramelized sugar glaze. The result is a deliciously creamy custard that has a rich sweetness from the caramelized sugar layer at the bottom.
Air Fryers have revolutionized the way we cook, allowing us to make healthy meals and snacks with ease. And now you can even use your air fryer to make delicious desserts like Air Fryer Flan! All you need are some basic ingredients that you likely already have on hand – milk, sugar, water and eggs – plus one special ingredient – 1 yolk! This helps give the flan its signature velvety smooth texture that everyone loves.
Ingredients Needed to Make Air Fryer Flan
To make your Air Fryer Flan all you need are the following ingredients:
- 2 cups (450 ml) of whole milk
- ½ cup (100 g) of granulated white sugar + ⅔ cup of granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
Once these ingredients are gathered, all that’s left to do is whip them up into an unforgettable treat!
Instructions For Making Air Fryer Flan
Now it’s time for step-by-step instructions:
Start by whisking the eggs and sugar together.
Once combined pour the milk into in and whisk it together.
Get a sieve and strain the mixture into a separate bowl.
Create a caramel by gently melting the ⅔ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
Pour and spread the caramel evenly into 4 ramekins. Let it cool for 10 minutes
Pour the custard mixture into each ramekin, and make sure that it covers the caramel leave about 2 cm from the top.
Cover with foil and place in a a pyrex/ cake tin – large enough for alll four ramekins and small enough to fit in your air fryer.
Important: take the air fryer tray out from the air fryer draw – you want to lower it so the ramekins do not touch the element.
Pour water into the pyrex so that it comes up to a third of the height of ramekins
Cook the flan in the preheated air fryer on for 50 minutes
Cool in the fridge for 10 mins.
When you want to serve, place in a bed of hot water for 10 minutes to soften the caramel on top of the flan.
After 10 minute, run a knife around the sides of ramekins turn onto plate
• If you’re looking to make your Air Fryer Flan extra creamy, try adding a teaspoon of cornstarch to the mix. This will help thicken it and give it an even smoother texture.
• To save time, you can make your custard mixture in advance and store it in the fridge overnight. Just remember to let it come to room temperature before pouring into the ramekins.
• If making several batches of Air Fryer Flan at once, cook them together as opposed to one after another. This will ensure that all of your flans are cooked evenly.
• If you don’t have whole milk on hand, you can substitute it with evaporated milk.
• If you don’t have granulated white sugar, you can use brown sugar or even honey instead.
• Instead of using 4 large eggs and 1 egg yolk, you can also use 5 medium eggs.
Air Fryer Flan is an alternative method of preparing classic custard-based flan desserts. Instead of using a traditional oven to bake the flan, an air fryer is used to cook the ingredients in a healthier way that cuts down on fat and calories while maintaining the same great taste.
An air fryer works by circulating hot air all around the contents of its cooking basket, which helps evenly distribute heat for faster and more efficient cooking. This hot air also browns and crisps up the surface of food items like flan in a similar way to how an oven would but without needing additional oil or butter.
You will need milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract (optional) to make Air Fryer Flan. The ingredients must be combined into a smooth custard mixture before being poured into a baking pan or dish that is suitable for use with an air fryer.
Yes, you can easily substitute some of the components such as swapping out whole milk for skimmed milk or substituting plain sugar with other types of sweeteners like honey or agave syrup.
You should use either a small cake pan or springform pan that is specifically designed for use with an air fryer. Make sure it fits comfortably inside your device before beginning so that your flan cooks evenly throughout.
Yes, you can easily make multiple batches in one go by doubling or tripling your recipe depending on your air fryer’s capacity. However, it’s important that you evenly space out each portion so that they all receive equal amounts of heat from the device’s circulation system during cooking.
Yes, pre-made custards can be used if you want something quick and convenient but bear in mind that these may contain stabilizers and preservatives which could alter both texture and taste considerably once cooked in an air fryer instead of baked conventionally.
Be sure not to overfill your tray as this will cause uneven cooking times between different sections of your flan which could result in one part being undercooked while another part overcooked altogether! Additionally, keep an eye on your timer as this will help you determine when your flan is finished cooking properly without running into any problems due to overbaking or undercooking during preparation processes. Lastly, turn off your appliance once done without opening it too soon so that steam doesn’t escape too quickly resulting in dryness occurring within your dessert!
The exact time needed depends on many factors such as size/type/shape/thickness etc., but generally 45-50 minutes at 285°F is fine. Begin checking earlier if possible as every appliance operates differently so some may require longer cook times than others whilst some might require shorter ones depending upon variation present amongst varying models currently available on market today!
Generally speaking most recipes specify 280F – 300F as this seems to offer just right balance between perfectly caramelized top layer mixed along with moist interior; however feel free experiment here based upon what works best within own particular unit type.
It’s best served warm immediately after removal from appliance although still acceptable cold! If desired add dollop freshly whipped cream along with fruit.
Air Fryer Flan
- 2 cups Whole milk
- ½ cup White sugar (+ ⅔ cup of granulated white sugar)
- ¼ cup Water + 1 cup for the bain-marie
- 4 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Start by whisking the eggs and sugar together.
- Once combined pour the milk into in and whisk it together.
- Get a sieve and strain the mixture into a separate bowl.
- Create a caramel by gently melting the ⅔ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes – until it turns golden brown.
- Pour and spread the caramel evenly into 4 ramekins. Let it cool for 10 minutes
- Pour the custard mixture into each ramekin, and make sure that it covers the caramel leave about 2 cm from the top.
- Cover with foil and place in a a pyrex/ cake tin – large enough for alll four ramekins and small enough to fit in your air fryer.
- Important: take the air fryer tray out from the air fryer draw – you want to lower it so the ramekins do not touch the element.
- Pour water into the pyrex so that it comes up to a third of the height of ramekins
- Cook the flan in the preheated air fryer on for 50 minutes.
- Cool in the fridge fpr 10 mins
- When you want to serve, place in a bed of hot water for 10 minutes to soften the caramel on top of the flan.
- After 10 minute, run a knife around the sides of ramekins turn onto plate and enjoy.
So there you have it, Air Fryer Flan. Using only simple and accessible ingredients, you can easily prepare this treat in your own home with minimal effort and clean up.
Leave a Reply